A Driving license is valid only for 20 years in India. If your driving license expires, then you have only one year to renew DL. Here is a step-by-step on How to renew your driving license online via the Parivaran Seva website.
A Driving license is one of the most important documents that is required for driving in India, aside from your insurance papers and a vehicle registration certificate (RC). Every citizen of India who owns and drives a vehicle needs to have a valid driving license. A driving license is valid for a period of 20 years or until the holder becomes 50 years old (whatever comes first) You can now easily renew your driving licence online. In this article, we will give you a step-by-step guide on how to update your DL online.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) had issued a notification that provides 18 license-related contactless services via Aadhaar authentication which includes the renewal of the driving license. With this move, now you can easily renew your DL without vising the regional transport offices (RTOs). Online Parivahan licence renewal has now become very easy.
Here is the list of documents required to renew your driving licence.
1. Driving Licence
2. Application Form No.2
3. Form No.1 (which is a self-declaration as to the physical fitness for Non-Transport Vehicles) or Form No. 1A (A Medical Certificate is required for Transport Vehicles only)
4. Along with the fees as prescribed along with user charges
The Parivahan Sewa site states that the driving licence renewal application will be accepted up to one month before the date of expiry of the DL. In case the application is late for more than five years after the date of expiry of the license, the applicant has to undergo all the formalities to obtain a fresh license.
If the renewal application is made before 30 days of the date of expiry of the license, then the licence renewal will be considered from the date of its expiry. If the renewal application is made 30 days after the date of expiry of the license, the licence renewal will be done with effect from the date of receipt of the application. The applicant will also have to pay a small fee of Rs 30 along with the application.
Parivahan Sewa is the official website for getting a driving licence. Follow the below mentioned steps for DL renewal.
1. To go to the official website, visit Parivahan Sewa.
2. Next Click on online services.
3. Then in the drop-down menu click on Driving licence related services.
4. On the next page you will have to select your state, after which a new page will open where you will be able to see all the options for renewal.
5. Select Apply for DL renewal option.
Once you open the Parivahan Sewa website you will be asked to create an account. Follow the below-mentioned steps to create an account on the website.
1. First, go to the official Parivahan Sewa website and follow the above-mentioned steps to open driving licence related services.
2. Next click on the login button on the top right corner of the website.
3. You will be asked to create a username, and enter a password along with the captcha.
4. Once you enter the relevant details your account will be created.
5. Now you can apply for a DL renewal.
The driving license can be renewed even after the expiry of the licence however the holder will get a grace period of up to one year and after that, the license will lapse forever. Once the grace period is over, a new driving license will have to be issued. That means first you have to apply for a learner’s licence, and only then a permanent licence will be issued. Follow the steps mentioned below to renew driving license online.
1. First, go to the official Parivahan Sewa website.
2. Next on the homepage, you have to click on online services and then select driving license-related services.
3. Then you will be redirected to a new page where you have to select the name of your state.
4. A new page will open which is based on your selection of the state.
5. You have to select the 'Apply for DL Renewal' option from the list displayed.
6. Next, you will be able to see a page that shows the instructions for application submission.
7. Then you will need to fill in the applicant or request details.
8. You will need to fill in your name, address, date of birth, current licence number, etc.
9. The portal will ask you to upload the required documents (if any).
10. Then you have to upload a photo and signature. The step is required only in certain states.
11. Next, you have to make the payment of the fee of Rs 200 and verify your payment status. You can pay the fees via net banking, credit card or debit card payment.
12. Then just download and take a printout of the receipt for future references.
You also have the option to renew your driving licence offline by visiting your local RTO office.
1. Simply Visit the local RTO office near you and collect form 9
2. You will need to attach all the necessary documents including the NOC letter if you are renewing your licence from another state.
3. Then you will have to enclose your valid Driving License details along with your photograph.
4. Just pay a nominal driving licence renewal fees of INR 200 and book a test slot if there is any change in your medical condition.
5. Next, take the exam to renew your Driving License if you