Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique ID number that is issued by the Indian government to the residents of India by taking a person’s biometric details like fingerprints and iris scans, as well as demographic info like your complete address, DOB, etc. Nowadays Aadhar card has become a must for doing any financial transactions, as well as availing a lot of online services. In order to avail of online services related to the Aadhaar card, it is a must that you first register/update your mobile number with UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India).
In case you have lost your mobile phone or want to change your mobile number you can get it updated in UIDAI’s database by visiting an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. Aadhaar card mobile number update can be done only by visiting a centre.
The Income Tax Department has initiated a step to link your Aadhaar number with your PAN card. So, you can link both by visiting the official website of income tax efiling. If your name in Aadhaar and PAN card are the same then there is no need for the OTP. However, if your name is not the same in the records of Aadhaar and PAN, then you will have to verify the Aadhaar OTP, which will come only at your registered mobile number recorded in your Aadhaar card.
1. For submitting your income-tax return online and fully paperless, you need to authenticate the Aadhaar OTP which will be sent to your registered mobile number in your Aadhaar card.
2. The government of India has taken another step towards bringing everything under one platform, so linking your Aadhaar number with your mobile number is important for all financial transactions.
3. An Aadhaar card with your updated mobile is needed for numerous services like Government & Non-Government Services, Benefits to get Subsidy, Pensions, Social Benefits, Scholarships services in Banking, Healthcare Insurance services, Education, Taxation services, Employment, etc., which makes it important that Aadhaar data of the resident, including the mobile number is correct and up-to-date.
UIDAI has abolished the method of updating Mobile numbers online in Aadhaar cards to prevent misuse of personal details. To update or change their mobile number, users have to visit the Aadhar card centre only. However, you can download the application form for the change/update of your mobile number online from the UIDAI website and save yourself some time.
If your existing number is registered with Aadhar you can change it to your new number via an OTP message. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update your mobile number via OTP.
1. Visit the official UIDAI website https://uidai.gov.in/
2. Next, go to the home page, and go to the 'My Aadhaar’ section, and select ‘Aadhaar Services”. Then select “Verify Email/ Mobile Number”.
3. Next, you will need to fill in your 12-digit Aadhaar number
4. You will have to enter your mobile phone number
5. Enter the security code and complete the CAPTCHA procedure
6. Next, you will receive an OTP on your mobile number
7. Click on verify the OTP option and tap on submit
8. Once the authentication process is completed you will receive a message which will say, “Your mobile number is successfully verified”
In case your phone number is not registered on your Aadhar card, then you will need to update an alternative mobile number. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update the alternative mobile number with your Aadhar card.
1. Visit https://uidai.gov.in or https://resident.uidai.gov.in
2. Click on the option “Aadhaar Card” Service and enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number or the UID or the VID -a 16- digit Virtual Identification Number or EID-a 28-digits Enrolment ID
3. Next, it will ask you to enter the security code
4. Then you will see a message which says, “If you don’t have a registered/ listed mobile number, please check in the box”. Please click on this.
5. Next, enter your Non-Registered or your Alternate Mobile Number
6. Click on “Send OTP”
7. Then click on the “Terms and Conditions”.
8. Click on the “Submit” key to complete OTP or the TOTP verification
9. On the next page, the website will show you your Aadhar card details to authenticate before you place the order for the reprint
10. Click on the option “Make payment” and you will be redirected to the Payment Gateway.
11. After the payment, a receipt will be generated with a digital signature and you can download it in PDF format. Next, you will get a Service Request Number via an SMS on your mobile number.
12. You can track the status of the SRN till dispatch of your Aadhaar Letter on the option “Check Aadhaar Card Status”
13. SMS with the AWB number will be sent once the same is dispatched from DoP- Department of Post. You can also track the delivery status on the official DoP website. It is to be noted that you will have to physically visit the Aadhar enrolment centre to update / change your mobile number.