According to Zurich City police, the device suddenly exploded for an unknown reason as it was being removed by a repair worker
Access Open Source Technology
Innovate w/ IBM and Discover New Open Source Technology Today. Learn More.
Click here to know more
A man was injured when an iPhone battery overheated and the device exploded at an Apple Store here, leading to a temporary evacuation of those present on the premises.
According to a report in www.swissinfo.ch, the incident occurred at the Apple Store on Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse on Tuesday, injuring a repairman.
"According to Zurich City police, the device suddenly exploded for an unknown reason as it was being removed by a repair worker on Tuesday, burning his hand slightly. Seven other people received medical attention but were not hospitalised," the report said.
The incident prompted the evacuation of around 50 customers and staff from the shop.
"The staff responded well and correctly. They sprinkled quartz sand over the overheated battery so that the smoke could be contained and sucked out after switching on the ventilation," a police statement said.
The fire servicemen covered the battery with sand, allowing the smoke to be contained and then ventilated.
According to police, forensic specialists from the Zurich Forensic Institute were examining the cause of the problem.
Apple is yet to respond to this.
Popular Mobile PhonesView All
Hot DealsView All
Digit caters to the largest community of tech buyers, users and enthusiasts in India. The all new Digit in continues the legacy of Thinkdigit.com as one of the largest portals in India committed to technology users and buyers. Digit is also one of the most trusted names when it comes to technology reviews and buying advice and is home to the Digit Test Lab, India's most proficient center for testing and reviewing technology products.
We are about leadership-the 9.9 kind! Building a leading media company out of India.And,grooming new leaders for this promising industry.