What is it with Sony Ericsson and the unique designs of the phones! The Xperia Arc S walks the design path of the phone it is succeeding. The Xperia Ray has one of the slimmest display sizes and now the Xperia Active.
From what we can understand, this phone is simply meant for the “look at me” crowd. Hence, it no wonder that the phone comes with multiple colours of battery covers with the phone - one to match your wardrobe daily!
Moving beyond that, here is what we think about the Xperia Active:
- The build of the phone is quite satisfactory, even though it is mostly plastic.
- Needless to say, at 16.5mm, this phone is one of the fattest (or should we say thickest, to not annoy someone!) around.
- Multiple colour options for the battery cover remind of the time when Motorola used to offer the same with one of their truly forgetful phone!
- The 3-inch display has a nice crisp feel to the text rendered on it. Adequate brightness levels mean that even in bright sunlight, reading that SMS will not be a problem.
- The TimeScape UI in this phone is the one that we saw in the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini and the Xperia Mini Pro, launched a few months back. It has the corner menus, but the widgets remain largely the same across the TimeScape versions.
- Just like the Xperia Ray, the Active also has a slim display. The fear that the on screen keypad wont work in portrait mode was allayed very quickly. Despite the thin keys, the typing is a very precise activity, with literally no spelling mistakes.
- The charging port is hidden behind a cover. We don’t really think it is a very good idea to keep opening that cover daily when charging the phone. Longevity will definitely suffer.
- For its uniqueness, the Xperia Active is retailing for around Rs 19,000 in the market. From what we have experienced in this short duration we have used the phone, this one definitely has a lot of uniqueness about it. But beyond that, it might struggle to compete against the oomph value commanded by the Apple iPhone 3GS (yes, still!).
Stay tuned for a detailed review!
Vote and Win!
Digit Icons of Trust 2011 Survey
Visit http://thinkdigit.com/trust to vote for your favorite tech brands in India.
Survey participation gives you a chance to win exciting gifts like wireless input devices, earphones and special edition Digit branded T-shirts.
As an appreciation of your valuable time and input, every participant will receive an assured gift in the form of Digit discount vouchers.
We encourage you to participate in multiple surveys to increase your chances of winning more goodies.