Mukesh Ambani steps down as the director of Reliance Jio.
Akash Ambani was announced as the new Jio Infocomm Chairman.
Let’s know about the new Jio Infocomm chairman here.
Mukesh Ambani has resigned from the post of director of the Reliance Jio board and passed the baton to his elder son Akash Ambani who is the new chairman of the board. Mukesh Ambani, 65, resigned from the board on June 27 as per a recent stock exchange filing. Let’s learn about the new Chairperson of the Reliance Jio Infocomm. In other words, here are a few things you need to know about Akash Ambani.
Akash Ambani, The New Reliance Jio Chairman: What you need to know
- Akash Ambani, 30 is the first-born child of Mukesh and Nita Ambani. He has two siblings viz. Anant Ambani and Isha Ambani.
- He got married to Shloka Mehta in 2020 and they have a son named Prithvi.
- He has a major in Economics from Brown University, the US.
- He was inducted as a director on Jio Platforms Ltd in 2020.
- Along with his siblings, he has been a board member of Reliance Retail Ventures too.
- Akash’s appointment as Chairman of Reliance Jio Infocomm is said to be based on his role in the telecom company's development so far.
- This reportedly includes his contributions toward the growth and expansion of Jio 4G services, India-centric Jiophone (2017), and Jio’s headway into cutting-edge technologies like AI, ML, and blockchain.
- He apparently also played a major role in attracting huge investments from global giants involving the likes of Google.
- He is expected “to continue to operate on the cutting-edges of innovation and technology to encourage an ecosystem that will further digital solutioning and make the power of data and technology more accessible to all, including those who are still at the margin”.
- He further envisions the “convergence dividend’ for 500 million-plus consumers digitally and with high-inclusivity across geographies and income levels”.
- Meanwhile, his father Mukesh Ambani will carry on the role of Chairman, Jio Platforms Ltd. which is the parent of all Jio digital platforms including Reliance Jio Infocomm.
Mr. Ambani is clearly making his succession moves, not to mention the wealth transfer. We will be keeping a close eye on the business tycoon, his family and how they impact the tech landscape.