WhatsApp has introduced some new features to its Android and iOS versions.
You can now fingerprint-lock WhatsApp and choose who can add you to WhatsApp groups.
WhatsApp now also allows you to ‘Reply Privately’ from WhatsApp Group Chat.
One of the most popular messaging apps in the world, WhatsApp is evolving and it is bringing some interesting features to both Android and iOS versions of its app. While fingerprint-lock feature was rolled out last week, the company is now rolling out a new feature that will let you decide who adds you to the WhatsApp groups. Similarly, there are a couple of more features that WhatsApp has introduced in the past two weeks. Hence, we have compiled a list of some of the latest features and here’s how you can enable them.
While this feature has been available on WhatsApp for iOS since February, it was first spotted in a beta build on WhatsApp for Android back in August. Fingerprint-lock WhatsApp feature made its way to the WhatsApp Android app last week. To fingerprint-lock WhatsApp:
- Open the Settings menu by tapping on the vertical three dots icon at the top-right of the screen.
- Go to Account > Privacy > Fingerprint lock, which you will find at the bottom.
- Toggle on “Unlock with fingerprint.”
- You can also set a duration after which the app will lock automatically and you’ll have to unlock WhatsApp using your fingerprint. You can choose from “Immediately,” “After 1 minute,” or “After 30 minutes.”
It must be noted that even after toggling on the option WhatsApp allows you to pick up incoming calls and reply to messages from the notification without needing to unlock it.
You decide who can add you to WhatsApp groups
Do you get annoyed when some random person adds you to an unusual group? Well, the latest update allows you to choose who can add you to WhatsApp groups. Here’s how you can enable the feature:
- Go to the Settings menu by tapping on the vertical three dots icon at the top-right of the screen.
- Tap on Account > Privacy > Groups.
- You’ll get three options to choose from – “Everyone,” “My Contacts” and “My Contacts Except.”
The three options are self-explanatory. “My contacts” lets users you have in your address book to add you to groups, whereas “My Contacts Except” provides additional control.
‘Reply Privately’ from WhatsApp Group Chat
Instead of replying in the group itself, his feature allows you to privately reply to specific messages from within the group chat. Here’s how you can use it:
- Open a WhatsApp group conversation.
- Long-press the message you want to send a private reply for.
- Tap on the vertical three dots icon at the top-right of the screen.
- Select the “Reply privately” option from the menu.
- WhatsApp opens the chat window of the person you are willing to send a private reply to. Now you can type and send the message.
Note: These features are available on the latest version of the WhatsApp application.