iPhone 7 allegedly burns a woman's hand while charging

By Karthekayan Iyer | Published on 16 Nov 2016
iPhone 7 allegedly burns a woman's hand while charging

An Australian woman claims she suffered severe burns after falling asleep on her iPhone 7, which was charging at the time.


Working from home?

Don’t forget about the most important equipment in your arsenal

Click here to know more

The Apple iPhone 7 is the latest victim of burngate. After Samsung's Galaxy Note7 started catching fire while charging, there have been reports of the iPhone 7 catching fire too, but there hasn't been anything critical so far.

Now, an Australian woman claims her iPhone 7 caught fire while charging and burnt her hand. A Sydney woman claims she suffered severe burns after falling asleep on her iPhone 7 while it was charging. Melanie Tan Pelaez posted a picture of her red, blistered arm on Facebook, warning others to keep phones away while charging.

"I recently purchased an Apple iPhone 7 and accidentally fell asleep with my arm on my phone whilst it was charging. I was woken up by sudden pain, pins and needles, numbness and shortness of breath. I have been an iPhone user since the beginning and have never had an issue or concern, so it's really scary and disappointing that something like this happened and can happen to someone else" reads the post.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Pelaez is 15 weeks pregnant and fell asleep while watching movies on her iPhone last month. She says her doctors ran tests on her heart and blood and confirmed the influence of a foreign object. The Sydney Morning Herald also reports that Ms Pelaez took her iPhone to an Apple Store, where the executives told her "there is no way the phone could have done this to you".

The iPhone 7 in question was recently flown to the US for testing, after Pelaez contacted Apple's executive team through their website. Apple has said the investigation would take more time to complete. "I thought this is ridiculous. I was really frustrated that I wasn't getting any response from Apple," Pelaez told Fairfax Media.

While Apple is yet to confirm the cause for Pelaez's burns, this may concern other iPhone users as well. While Apple advises against using iPhones while charging, the smartphone getting hot enough to burn a woman's hand seems far fetched. Most flagship smartphones automatically turn off once they get too hot and if the iPhone was faulty here, then it could well be an issue or malfunction. Apple is yet to offer a formal statement on the inspecttion of Pelaez's iPhone.

Karthekayan Iyer

Digit caters to the largest community of tech buyers, users and enthusiasts in India. The all new Digit in continues the legacy of Thinkdigit.com as one of the largest portals in India committed to technology users and buyers. Digit is also one of the most trusted names when it comes to technology reviews and buying advice and is home to the Digit Test Lab, India's most proficient center for testing and reviewing technology products.

We are about leadership-the 9.9 kind! Building a leading media company out of India.And,grooming new leaders for this promising industry.

DMCA.com Protection Status