1. Amitabh Bachchan had read the original script 12 years ago.
2. The first trailer of the movie was released on 18 Dec 2014 alongside PK (2014)which is also made by the same production team. This is a common strategy with Vinod Chopra Films to release the trailer of their forthcoming film alongside their current release.
3. The project went through several changes whilst at the scripting stage, the project originally was called Fifth Move when Vidhu Vinod Chopra wanted to direct this as an International movie, a few years later it was called 64 Squares. when it was finally ready to take off in 2014 Vidhu Vinod Chopra decided to only produce the film and signed on Bejoy Nambiar as director after working with him a year-and-a-half on the script. Whilst the shooting commenced the project was called Do and finally it was decided Wazir would be a more appropriate name for the film.
4. Vidhu Vinod Chopra had the script ready in the early 2000s and wanted to make the film as a Hollywood project initially with an American cast as he felt the Indian audiences were not mature enough to understand the plot around chess, he was keen to cast Dustin Hoffman or Anthony Hopkins as the leading actor, a script meeting was arranged with Dustin Hoffman but this didn't materialize.
5. Amitabh Bachchan and Farhan Akhtar are acting alongside each other for the first time. However, they have worked together earlier in Farhan Akhtar's second directorial Lakshya (2004), where Amitabh Bachchan played the role of an army colonel.
6. Amitabh Bachchan's look in the film was designed by a team flown down from Los Angeles.
7. The first shot of the movie was taken on 28 September 2014 in Mumbai, the makers had a full week of rehearsals with the full cast and crew before the shooting starting.
8. The previous tagline for the movie was Two players. One alive. One dead. A game unfinished
9. The Earing on Pandit Ji's(Amitabh Bachan) blazer was lent to him for the scene by Ruhana Ali(Aditi Rao Hydari) as the Earing bought by the unit was misplaced.
10. Farhan Akthar would refer to Amitabh Bachchan as Panditji even after the shoot, Amitabh Bachchan is referred to as Panditji in the film by everyone.
11. Farhan Akthar went through intense training and put on eight kilograms of weight to play the role of an Anti-Terrorist Squad officer. He also changed his diet and met some of his friends who were ATS officers for the preparation.
12. The film was the first successful film of 2016.
13. Mumbai's police officers were in praise of Farhan Akhtar's transformation as an ATS officer in the first trailer.
14. At the screening of Lakshya (2004), Vidhu Vinod Chopra informed Farhan Akhtar about the script of Wazir and wanted his feedback on that. The next time they met him was in 2014, after which Akhtar heard the script and agreed to do the film.
15. Aditi Rao Hydari was cast after Vidhu Vinod Chopra saw her dance,
16. The shooting of the film was going to be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada when Vidhu was going to direct the film in 2003.
Box office collection
Vinod Chopra Productions