The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has given a clean chit to Reliance Jio’s offer of free voice calling and data plans on its services. PTI reports that the authority sent a letter to Bharti Airtel and Idea Cellular informing them that Jio’s Happy New Year offer was not violating the principles of non-discrimination, inter-connect rule compliance, and non-predation.
The authority added that the Happy New Year Offer was distinct from the Welcome Offer and cannot be treated as an extension of the earlier offer. It noted that the benefits offered under the two promotions differed. The Happy New Year Offer has an opening and closing date within the prescribed limit of 90 days. The new offer gives subscribers a different data limit and provision for a higher speed once data is exhausted after payment of a certain amount.
Airtel had earlier filed an appeal with the Telecom Disputes and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT), which challenged TRAI’s decision to allow the extension of Jio’s promotional offer. The Telecom operator said that Jio’s free offers were affecting its services and creating a “significant prejudice and day-to-day-loss” for the company. Later, it filed a fresh appeal with TDSAT, which alleged that TRAI was “tacitly” allowing Jio to promote anti-competitive offers of free data and calling.
Other Popular Deals
- Best smartphones to buy under Rs. 7,000 in India right now14 upcoming mobile phones you should expect in India in 2016
- 10 smartphone sequels to look forward to in 201510 best smartphones between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000...
- Best smartphones under Rs. 15,000 with great battery backup26 upcoming & latest smartphones to check-out
- Slimmest phones you can buy in India [November 2015]The best upgrade options for 10 classic smartphones
- Huawei P8: First LookXiaomi Mi4i vs Asus Zenfone 2 (2GB): Quick Comparison
- LG G4: First LookAsus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
- Sony's current & upcoming Xperia phones: An OverviewMicromax Canvas Sliver 5: First Look
- Sony Xperia C4: First LookCoolpad Dazen X7 and Dazen 1: In pictures