Telecom operators have long demanded more spectrum to improve their services, especially for the 3g network. They have also sought defence ministry to release some spectrum. According to reports, telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad all set to hold talks with defence ministry over the issue releasing of mobile airwaves.
Reports suggest the telecom minister had discussed the matter with telecom department officials on the spectrum issue. The telecom ministry wants to build a proposal for having a separate band for defence sector. "I reviewed the entire spectrum issue, including its availability as also the entire programme for the auctions," Prasad added.
It's notable defense sector has spectrum in 1,700-2,000 MHz band and in the 2,100 MHz (3G) bands.
Telecom operators at multiple forums have stressed the need for release of more spectrum to ease up burden on existing bands. The regulatory authorities have also sought a resolution of the issue at the earliest. Also read: 4G in India: Challenges and opportunities
The Cellular Operators' Association of India (COAI) recently wrote to the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) pointing out the issue of spectrum crunch.
"It is requested that the auction should not be conducted till the adequate spectrum, as recommended by TRAI (Telcom Regulatory Authority of India), is made available. We, therefore, suggest that as a first priority, additional spectrum should be made available on an urgent basis in 800 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2100MHz bands as these bands are the most harmonized spectrum bands internationally," says the letter.
Other Popular Deals
- Best smartphones to buy under Rs. 7,000 in India right now14 upcoming mobile phones you should expect in India in 2016
- 10 smartphone sequels to look forward to in 201510 best smartphones between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000...
- Best smartphones under Rs. 15,000 with great battery backup26 upcoming & latest smartphones to check-out
- Slimmest phones you can buy in India [November 2015]The best upgrade options for 10 classic smartphones
- Huawei P8: First LookXiaomi Mi4i vs Asus Zenfone 2 (2GB): Quick Comparison
- LG G4: First LookAsus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
- Sony's current & upcoming Xperia phones: An OverviewMicromax Canvas Sliver 5: First Look
- Sony Xperia C4: First LookCoolpad Dazen X7 and Dazen 1: In pictures