Reliance Jio has been at the top of TRAI’s data speed charts for a while, and it comes as no surprise that the network has yet again topped the charts for providing the highest average download speeds in the month of June.
As per TRAI’s My Speed portal, Jio recorded average download speeds of 18.809 Mbps, a decline from the 19.123 Mbps in May. Vodafone comes in second with average download speeds of 12.297 Mbps in June, followed by Idea Cellular with average download speeds of 11.685 Mbps. Airtel comes in last with average download speeds of 8.233 Mbps, down from 10.153 Mbps in May. In fact all telecom operators witnessed marginally lower download speeds in the month of June. The month of May saw Idea cellular inch past Vodafone with average download speeds of 13.709 Mbps, but Vodafone seems to have reclaimed its second place.
TRAI average download speeds in May 2017 Vs June 2017
However, Idea Cellular seems to have overtaken all other operators in June when it comes to average upload speeds. Idea recorded average upload speeds of 7.552 Mbps in the month of June, closely followed by Vodafone at 6.949 Mbps and Airtel at 4.013 Mbps. Jio, on the other hand, had the lowest recorded average upload speeds of 4.013 Mbps.
TRAI’s My Speed portal displays average data speeds through results collected from its My Speed app. Samples are collected from various consumers on a crowdsourcing basis. Speed test results are updated on the first of every month. For the month of June, TRAI analysed over 1 million speed test results from Jio consumers, and 100K+ tests from Vodafone and Idea consumers.
A recent study pointed out that 82 percent of Jio subscribers use the connection as their secondary SIM, while 18 percent use it as their primary SIM. As per the study, Jio attracted subscribers in droves with its free data and calling offers, but call drops remains a “major concern” for the teleco. Perhaps this is the reason why users prefer to use a Jio connection for data rather than calling.
Let us know your download experiences with Jio and other incumbent operators in our comments section. Do you think TRAI’s report is a fair assessment of data speeds provided by these telecom operators?
Other Popular Deals
- Best smartphones to buy under Rs. 7,000 in India right now14 upcoming mobile phones you should expect in India in 2016
- 10 smartphone sequels to look forward to in 201510 best smartphones between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 20,000...
- Best smartphones under Rs. 15,000 with great battery backup26 upcoming & latest smartphones to check-out
- Slimmest phones you can buy in India [November 2015]The best upgrade options for 10 classic smartphones
- Huawei P8: First LookXiaomi Mi4i vs Asus Zenfone 2 (2GB): Quick Comparison
- LG G4: First LookAsus Zenfone 2 and Zenfone Selfie: In Pictures
- Sony's current & upcoming Xperia phones: An OverviewMicromax Canvas Sliver 5: First Look
- Sony Xperia C4: First LookCoolpad Dazen X7 and Dazen 1: In pictures