Shortly after Flipkart walked away from Airtel Zero platform, Airtel has clarified its toll free data platform – Airtel Zero -- is a not a tariff proposition but is an open marketing platform.
Here's full Airtel statement:
Airtel fully supports the concept of Net Neutrality. There have been some misconceptions about our toll free data platform – Airtel Zero. It is a not a tariff proposition but is an open marketing platform that:
1. Allows any application or content provider to offer their service on a toll free basis to their customers who are on our network.
2. Such customers whether on a data pack or not will therefore be able to access these toll free services free of charge.
3. No site whether on the toll free platform or not under any circumstances is blocked, throttled or provided any form of preferential access.
4. The toll free platform is open to all content providers on a completely non discriminatory basis and operates on the same principle as 1-800 toll free voice services.
The statement made by Flipkart regarding their decision not to offer toll free data service to their customers is consistent with our stand that Airtel Zero is not a tariff proposition. It is merely an open platform for content providers to provide toll free data services. The platform remains open to all companies who want to offer these toll free data services to their customers on a completely non discriminatory basis.
- Net Neutrality: DoT panel to submit report next month
- Internet belongs to entire humanity: Dr Ravi Shankar Prasad on Net Neutrality
- So, what's the deal with net neutrality?
- Airtel Zero not breaching net neutrality: Bharti Airtel