Microsoft has decided to not refresh the Surface Pro 4 in late-2016, and decided to introduce the Surface Studio, an all-in-one PC aimed at designers and creative professionals. Now, reports have emerged that Microsoft might be planning to launch the Surface Pro 5 in the first quarter of 2017.
Microsoft Surface Pro 5's big new feature could be the use of an Ultra HD display. The Surface Pro 4 comes with a 12.3-inch PixelSense display with a resolution of 2736x1824 pixels. With a leap to 4K Ultra HD display, Microsoft could pitch the Surface Pro 5 as an ultimate professional machine for designers and also compete against similar offerings from its OEM partners.
According to Digitimes, Microsoft's Surface Pro 5 would opt for a magnetic charging stylus as well, and Pegatron Technology will manufacture it. Microsoft may also be considering Quanta Computer for manufacturing the Surface Pro 5.
Microsoft's Surface hardware range, which initially started as a specialised line of business, is turning into lucrative and profitable opportunities. Microsoft recently said that Apple's decision to drop support for traditional ports and SD card slot with 2016 MacBook Pro has lured Mac loyalists towards Surface hardware. With the recent update of Surface Book, Microsoft decided not to adopt seventh generation Intel Core processors. It is unclear what combination of hardware Microsoft would adopt with its Surface Pro 5. It will also be interesting to see whether Satya Nadella's Microsoft is willing to take design risks, and go for a really slim tablet that doubles up as an excellent notebook, by adding the Surface Type Cover.
- In Pictures: Asus ZenFone Selfie, ZenPad, Zen AiOFirst Impressions: Micromax Canvas Laptab
- Comparsion: Mi Pad vs Nexus 9 vs iPad Mini 3Top 10 Android tablets with voice/3G support under Rs....
- First Look: HP Pro series, ElitePad tablets and othersAt a glance: Digiflip Pro range of tablets from Flipkart
- Nexus 9: A look at Google's new tabletHands On: Huawei Honor X1
- Hands-on: Dell's ultra-thin Venue 8 tablet with Intel Real...Unboxing: DIGITAB DT-LM72T - Digisol's first Android tablet
- Asus Fonepad 7XOLO Play Tegra Note Tab
- Computex 2014: Dell Venue 8 Android tabletApple iPad Air 2 vs. Google Nexus 9: Specs comparison
- Unboxing: MOSTI Chhota Bheem Tab (for kids)iberry Auxus CoreX2 3G budget Android tablet