Apple will reportedly release a cheaper 9.7-inch iPad in 2018, in an attempt to grow in price conscious markets like India. As per a report by Digitimes, the 2018 9.7-inch iPad could be priced as low as $259, which roughly converts to Rs 16,600 in India.
The move could be seen as a move to reverse the iPad’s fortunes, which has been on a decline for the past three years following a record high in 2013-14. The worldwide tablet market is on a continuous decline, with many manufacturers already out of the market. However, Apple did recover some momentum this year with the $329 9.7-inch iPad (review).
In the November 2017 earnings call, Apple reported that sales of the iPad had hit double-digits for the second consecutive quarter, while in June, the company had reportedly sold 11.4 million iPads, a 15 percent jump from same time last year. However, revenues grew by only 2 percent year-over-year, indicating that Apple was selling more of the new lower-priced 9.7-inch iPads. This might have prompted the company to slash the price for the devices down even lower.
For now, it’s not clear whether this will be a replacement for current the $329 variant or will sell alongside it. Hardware specifications of the device are also unknown at this point, but it could well be a slightly-tweaked variant of the current 9.7-inch iPad. The report notes that the device would be made by Compal Electronics, and could arrive in the second quarter of 2018.
Other Popular Deals
- In Pictures: Asus ZenFone Selfie, ZenPad, Zen AiOFirst Impressions: Micromax Canvas Laptab
- Comparsion: Mi Pad vs Nexus 9 vs iPad Mini 3Top 10 Android tablets with voice/3G support under Rs....
- First Look: HP Pro series, ElitePad tablets and othersAt a glance: Digiflip Pro range of tablets from Flipkart
- Nexus 9: A look at Google's new tabletHands On: Huawei Honor X1
- Hands-on: Dell's ultra-thin Venue 8 tablet with Intel Real...Unboxing: DIGITAB DT-LM72T - Digisol's first Android tablet
- Asus Fonepad 7XOLO Play Tegra Note Tab
- Computex 2014: Dell Venue 8 Android tabletApple iPad Air 2 vs. Google Nexus 9: Specs comparison
- Unboxing: MOSTI Chhota Bheem Tab (for kids)iberry Auxus CoreX2 3G budget Android tablet