Google Search becomes more privacy friendly with this feature that lets you delete sensitive personal information like contact details and login credentials. All you got to do is submit a request, which Google will evaluate and if it meets the company’s criteria, then those would be removed. We will see what those requirements are and what you need to do to clear those personally identifiable details from the search results.
Requirements to clear personally identifiable info from Google Search
The list of personal data that you can get removed from Google Search are:
- Confidential government identification (ID) numbers like U.S. Social Security Number, Argentine Single Tax
- Identification Number, Brazil Cadastro de pessoas Físicas, Korea Resident Registration Number, China Resident Identity Card, etc.
- Bank account numbers
- Credit card numbers
- Images of handwritten signatures
- Images of ID docs
- Highly personal, restricted, and official records, like medical records
- Personal contact info (physical addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses)
- Confidential login credentials
Now for your request to be eligible for the removal, your personal info on Google must include:
- Your contact info
- Explicit or implicit threats
- Explicit or implicit calls to action for others to harm or harass
Google says when the request is “found to be within the scope of our policy, either the URLs will be removed for all queries or the URLs will be removed only from search results in which the query includes the complainant’s name, or other provided identifiers, such as aliases.”
How to initiate a removal of personal info from Google Search
It’s fairly straightforward process. Here’s what you have to do:
- Visit this page and fill in the ‘Request to remove your personal information on Google’ form. Submit it.
- You will get an automated email confirmation from Google.
- The request will be reviewed in terms of the aforementioned requirements. If in case, the company finds it needs for details from you, it will seek the same.
- It will give you further instructions to resubmit the application.
- Now, your request wiull be reevaluated and again you will receive a notification from Google once the requested data is removed from the public domain.
As for other news, reviews, feature stories, buying guides and everything else tech-related, keep reading Digit.in.