Microsoft's next Surface Book might ditch the 2-in-1 design in favour of a clamshell design. Digitimes reports that the Microsoft Surface Book 2 has entered mass production and could be unveiled by the end of this month or early April. This shouldn'd come as a surprise considering the recent rumours around Surface Book successor.
Microsoft surprised the entire tech fraternity with its Surface Book launch in 2015. The laptop came with a detachable tablet and featured a dynamic fulcrum hinge that made it stand apart from other 2-in-1 detachable notebooks in the market. Microsoft refreshed its Surface Book in October with a performace base option, offering improved battery life and updated graphics.
Microsoft Surface Book 2 is said to sport a 13.5-inch display and start at $1,000. The original Surface Book started at $1,499 while the performace base starts at $2,399. Digitimes' sources estimate that Microsoft shipped only 5,00,000 units of the Surface Books in 2016.
"The sources believe Microsoft's decision to lower the price range for its new Surface Book is because the existing Surface Book's high price level has significantly limited demand, while the detachable design also created conflict with its Surface Pro product line in terms of product position," notes the publication.
Microsoft's adoption of a regular laptop design will come as a big threat to traditional notebook makers. Digitimes expects Surface Book 2 sales to reach around 1.5 million units despite declining demand for PCs. With Surface Book 2's traditional design and lower price, it will be interesting to see how Microsoft's OEM partners react to the Redmond-based software major's decision.
Other Popular Deals
- The 5 best Windows laptops under 30,000 Rs in IndiaFirst look: HP Omen gaming laptop, Pavilion, Spectre
- Dell's new laptops & PCs at Computex 2015A look at Windows 10 devices shown off at Computex 2015
- First look: WPG NuPC (mini PC)22 upcoming laptops powered by Intel 5th Gen Broadwell...
- Computex 2015: Gigabyte shows off its new gaming laptopsFirst Look: Panasonic's newly launched Toughbook and...
- A look at Google's four new Chromebooks launched in IndiaComputex 2015: ASUS unveils X and K series laptops
- Top 10 Gaming laptops you can buy under 50K (November 2015)Gaming Laptops between Rs. 50000 to Rs. 60000
- 8 Windows Hybrid Laptops you can buy in India todayTop 5 business laptop deals under Rs 40,000 (Jan 2014)
- Upcoming Gaming laptops that will make you droolTop 3 budget laptops under Rs. 30,000 in India