Twitter which updated its policies last week to fight abuse in an efficient way has come under fire for censoring LGBTQ terms like "bisexual" on its platform. According to The Verge on Monday, while updating its policies, the micro-blogging website also censored the "bisexual" hashtag under its adult content rules.
The biggest updates on the platform included abusive behaviour, self-harm, spam and related behaviours, graphic violence and adult content.
Angry Twitterati posted against the move.
"If you search #bisexual and click on photos or news there are no results. This is bi-erasure. @Twitter has done this. We exist," tweeted one user.
The updates last week were part of revamp to Twitter's policies surrounding online abuse. Reacting to the latest controversy, Twitter posted: "We've identified an error with search results for certain terms. We apologize for this. We're working quickly to resolve & will update soon".
Earlier in October, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey had said that the social media platform would take a more aggressive stance in its rules and its enforcement of them.
Dorsey, in his announcement which was a response to the #WomenBoycottTwitter protest, said that the platform would develop new rules for things like unwanted sexual advances, non-consensual nudity, hate symbols, violent groups, and tweets that glorify violence.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet