A study conducted by University of Salford of the U.K. on the impact of Social Networking on our lives suggests websites such as Facebook and Twitter are making users anxious and even insecure. The survey says more than half of the surveyed users admitted that these sites caused a change in their behaviour, and half of them claimed their lives had turned worse.
The study says users bearing the 'negative impact' of social networking claimed their confidence level had fallen while comparing their accomplishments to those of friends on the network. Two-thirds of respondents claimed having problems with relaxing or sleeping after spending time on the networking sites. One quarter of the respondents said they were having a tough time in relationships or workplacse becoming 'confrontational online'.
The study also highlighted how people have become addicted to the social networking websites. About 55 percent of users said they felt “uncomfortable” when they couldn't access their Facebook or email accounts. Also, more than 60 percent users said they needed to switch off the electronic gadgets in order to have a break.
Nicky Lidbetter of charity Anxiety UK, which commissioned the poll is quoted as saying, "If you are predisposed to anxiety it seems that the pressures from technology act as a tipping point, making people feel more insecure and more overwhelmed."
Do you also feel 'addicted' to social networking websites? Let us know in the comments section below:
Source: The Telegraph
- Is social / online gaming dying out as poll results indicate?
- Facebook, LinkedIn to ramp up privacy protection
- Evidence of Facebook 'Want' button emerges
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet