The Supreme Court has sought a response from Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and Facebook on a plea that seeks to curb the sharing of sexual offence videos on social networking sites. As per a report by PTI, a bench consisting of judges M B Lokur and U U Lalit issued a notice to the companies and have asked them to reply by January 9.
The court was hearing a letter that was to former Chief Justice of India, H L Dattu, by Hyderabad-based NGO Prajwala. The letter was accompanied by a pen drive, which contained two rape videos. Aparna Bhatt, the advocate appearing for, NGO Prajwala, said that videos depicting sexual offences are shared on social networking sites and these companies should take steps to curb such cybercrime.
Further, Solicitor General Maninder Singh, who represented the Center, listed the steps taken by the Union Home Ministry and CBI. The latter is the nodal agency for cyber crimes. He said that the debate over making name of the sexual offenders public is going on in India and abroad. The decision made in this regard will be implemented. For this point, the bench said that the if these names are to be made public, then it should be done only after the conviction in the office, not immediately after the case is lodged. It also directed the Centre to include steps to curb sexual violence against children in the list of measures to be taken for curbing crime against women.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet