India’s Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) issued an alert last weekend as a malware named “Locky” was spreading through spam mails on the internet. However, cyber security firm Trend Micro said on Monday that no incidences of Locky have been reported in India till now.
As per a statement by Trend Micro, the Locky ransomware is not likely to affect systems on the same scale as Petya or WannaCry ransomware as they relied on a Windows XP vulnerability. Sharda Tickoo, Technical Head, Trend Micro India, said in a statement, “So far, there haven't been any cases of Locky ransomware reported in India or across geographies, but we are getting inquiries from customers and Trend Micro's support team is helping out in resolving them. For addressing this malware, Trend Micro has its protection in place with suspicious and bad URLs being blocked. There are technologies wherein such embedded macros and file scripts can be detected and deleted.”
Last weekend, CERT issued an alert saying that a spam campaign containing Locky ransomware has been started and over 23 million emails and messages have been sent with the ransomware attached. The spam messages contain common subjects like "please print", "documents", "photo", "Images", "scans" and "pictures”. CERT also warned that the spam email attachments contain the malicious ransomware codes and users need to be wary of any emails that seem suspicious.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet