Microsoft's voice controlled “personal assistant” Cortana may be launched on rival platforms like Android and iOS later this year according to lead developer, Marcus Ash. He has added that Microsoft is preparing the service for debut in the next few weeks in UK and China.
During a recent interview at the SMX Advanced conference in Seattle, Marcus Ash, stated that the company was looking at scaling Cortana internationally and across different devices.
The service is currently available in beta for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview users with US location settings. Ash recently commented on the idea of launching Cortana on other platforms, and stressed that it would not happen until Cortana was stable and global on Windows Phone.
In the interview, he says, “We want to scale Cortana internationally and across devices. The Android/iOS question is interesting. We’re asking, would Cortana be as effective if she didn’t have access to the details on your phone? We’re still trying to get Cortana adopted on Windows Phone and figure out what it wants to become there. But we’re actively talking about this.”
Microsoft's Cortana competes with Apple's Siri and Google's Google Now voice assistants. Google Now is also available on iOS through the Google Search app but it is not tightly integrated due to software limitations. Microsoft has already launched Bing apps for Android and Office on iOS and Android, so perhaps Cortana launching on other platforms is not really far-fetched.
It could be nice to see a little competition in the personal assistant space. What do you think? Share your views in the comments section.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet