India witnessed a strong growth in mobile data traffic in 2014, driven by strong 3G and 2G connectivity and affordable smartphones, according to a recent report.
Nokia Networks' MBit Index study factored mobile data traffic generated by both 2G and 3G mobile broadband services. According to the report, 3G services witnessed a 114 per cent increase, while 2G data traffic grew by 41 per cent in 2014. Read: India to have 213 mln mobile Internet users by June: Report
The report reveals that 3G dataWhere to buy 16894 consumption surpassed 2G consumption in September 2014. 3G mobile data increased to 52 per cent of the total data consumption in December 2014 from 42 per cent in January 2014. Further the study found that 3G data consumption was 3.2 times more than 2G in 2014.
Nokia stated that while 3G is driving the growth, 2G data growth is stabilizing. "Hence, operators need to sustain the 2G networks while continuing to strengthen and expand 3G networks."
Compared to 130 million active 3G capable devices, India has 5.5 million 4G capable devices but only approximately 85,000 long term LTE subscribers. The report stated that 4G in India is still in its nascent stage, creating an opportunity for 4G vendors.
"It indicates another significant opportunity for selective rollout of 4G networks and services in the country," the report said.
Sandeep Girotra, vice president and head of India region, Nokia Networks, said:
"A surge in 3G and 4G compatible smartphone use underlines the greater need for operators to expand the 3G network coverage and selectively rollout 4G services for higher speeds across all the circles while modernizing the existing 2G networks." Read: India to become the second biggest smartphone market by 2019
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet