The latest State of the Internet report by Akamai Technologies for Q4 2015 paint a rather expected, and undoubtedly sorrow status of Internet connectivity in India. The average speed of Internet connectivity in India stands at 2.8 Mbps, thereby imparting the unfortunate distinction of having the slowest average broadband internet speed in the Asia-Pacific region. South Korea ranks at the top, with an average connection speed of 26.8 Mbps. While India ranks 114 globally, South Korea ranks the highest.
In terms of the fastest connection speed, India’s country-topping 21.2 Mbps is lesser than even South Korea’s average broadband internet speed. Singapore holds its spot for the fastest internet speed of 125.7 Mbps. Interestingly, India’s next-door neighbour, China, has an average internet speed of only 4.1 Mbps. While only 17% of the Indian Internet-using population has connections with speeds higher than 4 Mbps, China has 41% of its users surfing at speeds higher than 4 Mbps. However, 2.8% of Indian users browse at speeds higher than 10 Mbps, as against only 1.6% in China.
India’s internet speed sees it ranked 114th globally, behind nations like Philippines, Latvia, Hong Kong and Japan. While we have seen a 36% increase in average broadband internet speed since Q4 2014 (up from 2.06 Mbps), the recent array of data relays the amount of improvement that India needs to make, to get up to speed with the rest of the world in terms of internet connectivity. Despite rising interest and investment in Digital India initiatives, India is in an urgent need of improvement in the Internet paradigm. Investment in more spectrum and better infrastructure, perhaps?
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet