The study conducted by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB stated that the Internet user base in Mumbai has grown from 12 million in October last year to 16.4 million this year. National capital Delhi has the second highest internet user base of 12.1 million. Delhi recorded the fastest year-on-year growth rate of 50 per cent in Internet user base among top eight cities of the country. Kolkata ranked third in the list with 6.27 million users, followed by Bangalore (5.99 million) and Chennai (5.58 million). The report revealed that the top four metro cities - Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Bangalore have over 23% penetration of Internet users in the country.
"Mumbai witnessed a 37% growth, Bangalore saw a growth of 36 percent, Hyderabad and Pune saw a growth of 34% while Kolkata and Ahmedabad witnessed a growth of 33% each," the study revealed.
The IAMAI report revealed that India has about 243 million Internet users as of June 2014. The country is expected to surpass US by the year end to become the second biggest internet nation according to a Google report. However it has the slowest internet speeds in the Asia Pacific region at 1.7Mbps whereas the global average speed is 3.9 Mbps.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet