Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadanvis has revealed the government is working on a law on the lines of section 66A of IT that was recently scrapped by the Supreme Court.
In a response to a query, Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadanvis said: “The centre is working on formulating a new law on the lines of Section 66A that was struck down by the SC. There was no conviction in the previous law and thus a law is being formulated that will be strong and which will result in convictions.”
He also revealed that there is no need that state government should develop a law as the Centre was already working on it. The chief minister also pointed out the need to have more policemen trained to handle cases of cyber crime. He also advocated taking help from outsourced agencies for this purpose.
The revelation is likely to trigger a new series of concern as the 66A was considered as a threat to freedom of speech on the web. The law allowed arrest of a person for posting "offensive" content online. Earlier this month, the apex court scrapped the controversial section stating the law "is unconstitutional and we have no hesitation in striking it down."
Despite scrapping, the government stressed the need for the law and even said it would bring an amended law if required. "There are institutions which are working in other media whether it is paper, television or cinema. There is an institutional approach and there are checks like pre-censorship for TV and films. But in internet there is individual approach and there is no checks and balances or license,” had said additional solicitor general Tushar Mehta earlier.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet