The Indian government has launched a new Dot Bharat (.भारत) domain in Devanagari script. The domain has been launched for non-English speaking people, and will cover eight languages like Hindi, Dogri, Bodo, Maithili, Konkani, Marathi, Nepali and Sindhi.
Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, launched the dot bharat domain and stated that the venture will add all Indian languages in the near future. "This initiative should not stop at eight languages. I asked the department to make .Bharat domain name available in all the Indian languages very soon," he added.
The domain was developed by the joint efforts of National Internet Exchange of India and Centre for Development of Advanced Computing. The government hopes that the domain will help bring growth in economic activities in rural India resulting in creation of business opportunities and jobs for almost all sections of the society.
NIXI chief executive Govind stated that, "The dot Bharat initiative was taken up for our non-English speaking people. With this initiative, people can now type the URL in their own languages. This will help people in the villages and remote places. Hence it will help bridge the digital divide. This will also encourage generation of local content."
"After the dot Bharat domain name, in some time we will launch six regional URLs in Bengali, Telegu, Tamil, Gujarati, Punjabi and Urdu," Govind added.
The move is part of the Digital India initiative, under which the Indian government has been working on connecting the whole nation through wireless telephony and broadband networks. The Modi government has allotted Rs 20,000 crore under the program to bring mobile connectivity to over 55,000 villages in the next five years. Also Read: India Budget 2014: 6 major announcements for IT
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet