Since the past few months, a small team from Alphabet's X has been working with the local telco, AP State FiberNet in Andhra Pradesh to improve internet connectivity in the state. In order to do so, the AP govt and the local telco are working on an AP Fiber Grid initiative whose aim is to connect 12 million households and thousands of businesses to the internet by 2019. To make the initiative successful, the AP Fiber Grid initiative will use the Free Space Optical Communications (FSOC) technology developed by a team at X, Alphabet's moonshot factory.
AP State FiberNet has announced that it is rolling out two thousand FSOC links which will form a part of the backbone of their network. Alphabet’s X says it will be a cost-effective way of connecting rural and remote areas across the state. As per X, “The FSOC links uses beams of light to deliver high-speed, high-capacity connectivity over long distances — just like fibre optic cable, but without the cable. And because there’s no cable, this means there’s none of the time, cost, and hassle involved in digging trenches or stringing cable along poles.”
The FSOC tech was initially used in Project Loon to send data between balloons flying on the stratospheric winds. The same has been applied on land and as per the Alphabet X team, placing the FSOC boxes kilometers apart on high ground with the signal beamed directly between the boxes can “easily traverse common obstacles like rivers, roads and railways.” The combined initiative will kick off in 2018 and a small team of engineers from X will be present in Andhra Pradesh for supporting the project’s execution.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet