Google Maps Street Views have 360-degree panoramic images of the Khumbu region of Nepal, where Mount Everest is located. The internet giant has teamed up with Ava Sherpa who has reached the summit of the world's most famous mountain a record 21 times as well as nonprofit Story Cycle to bring the rest of the world digitally to the Khumbu region in Google Maps.
Google mapped and photographed the region on a 10-day expedition. The team has gathered some indoor imagery from the Everest Summiteer Lodge, which was built by Apa Sherpa in 1996. Street View has also added interesting sights including a number of other lodges, schools, monasteries, and more. The goal of the project is for the world to have a better understanding of the rich history of Khumbu and its people.
The landing page on Google Maps reads, "In the shadow of Mt. Everest lies a group of sacred valleys known as the Khumbu. For centuries this remote mountainous region has been the homeland of the Sherpa people. Discover the hidden treasures along the trail and off the beaten path."
Ava Sherpa, who also has started the Ava Sherpa Foundation, a nonprofit that works to give more opportunities to the children in Khumbu, said in his Google blog post, "Our region is famous for being home to Everest, but it's also the home of the Sherpa community and has been for centuries. The region has much more to offer than just the mountain. So last year, I guided the Google Maps team through my home region to collect Street View imagery that improves the map of our community."
Google Street View since its launch in 2007, has captured some of the world’s most far-flung and scenic destinations, including the Amazon forest, Grand Canyon, Antarctica, Mount Fiji and Canada’s Arctic tundra. Read: Taj Mahal among Google's top 10 Street View destinations in Asia
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet