Visitors to Google’s Malaysia page are being re-directed to a page made by hackers claiming credit for the cyber-attack.
Visitors to the domain were sent to a website with a black background and white, red and yellow text stating that “Google Malaysia Hacked by Tiger-Mate #Bangladeshi Hacker”. A Google spokesperson stated that no data has been compromised and the services themselves are still running.
Google's Malaysia office has clarified that the problem is due to a DNS redirection. According to reports, the internet giant is working with MYNIC which is run by the country’s ministry of communications and multimedia to resolve the problem. It runs all websites that end with the .my suffix, including google.com.my.
“We’re aware that some users are having trouble connecting to google.com.my, or are being directed to a different website,” a Google spokesman said. “We’ve reached out to the organization responsible for managing this domain name and hope to have the issue resolved shortly.” Google services like Gmail haven't been compromised, he added.
Earlier this year a similar case of DNS hijacking was done to Google’s Vietnam website. Users to the site were redirected to a website which appeared to be selling a service used for cyber attacks.
In January a similar hack was done to Malaysia Airlines and was claimed by Lizard Squad. The hackers had claimed to access personal information, however they haven't released the data yet. The group had also take responsibility of hacking a few other popular sites including Facebook, HipChat, Instagram as well as Lenovo's official site.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet