Google has announced new changes in its search algorithm that will prevent users from landing on 'doorway pages'. According to Google, the new changes are part of its efforts to minimize the impact of webspam on users.
Those unaware about 'doorway pages', here's how Google explains it: “Doorways are sites or pages created to rank highly for specific search queries. They are bad for users because they can lead to multiple similar pages in user search results, where each result ends up taking the user to essentially the same destination. They can also lead users to intermediate pages that are not as useful as the final destination.”
Some examples of doorways are having multiple domain names or pages targeted at specific regions or cities and more importantly “substantially similar pages that are closer to search results than a clearly defined, browseable hierarchy”.
While announcing the changes, Google says on its blog: “Over time, we've seen sites try to maximize their “search footprint” without adding clear, unique value. These doorway campaigns manifest themselves as pages on a site, as a number of domains, or a combination thereof. To improve the quality of search results for our users, we’ll soon launch a ranking adjustment to better address these types of pages. Sites with large and well-established doorway campaigns might see a broad impact from this change.”
Google will roll out the changes shortly. The latest algorithm change comes shortly after Google announced prioritizing company statements over the news reports of recognised media sites. The move has triggered concern that it will mislead users and also lead them to promoted content.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet