With the biggest surge in smartphone adoption happening in India and Vietnam, and user base expected to grow by almost 20 per cent in both countries, the year will see 3.47 billion people using the Internet, market research firm eMarketer has said.
Internet users will represent 46.8 per cent of the global population and mobile phones will be the primary device for Internet access, used by 2.73 billion people, the firm added.
The number of Internet users in India is expected to reach 450-465 million, said the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and market research firm IMRB International. The report said overall Internet penetration in India was currently around 31 per cent.
Developing digital markets in Asia-Pacific region, Latin America and the Middle East and Africa will see the fastest Internet user growth from 2017-21, driven by widening mobile broadband coverage and smartphone adoption.
By 2019, more than half of the world will access the Internet regularly and in 2021 more than four billion people will be online.
However, Internet user growth will fall from 6.1 per cent this year to 3.5 per cent by 2021 as Intenet use hits saturation, the report said.
Meanwhile, tablet penetration among Internet users will decline this year.
About 32.9 per cent of Internet users worldwide will access a tablet this year, down from 33.2 per cent in 2016.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet