In the latest state budget passed by the Delhi Government, State Finance Minister and Deputy CM, Manish Sisodia has earmarked Rs. 50 crores for setting up Wi-Fi hotspots across the city. In the first phase, the Wi-Fi hotspots will cover all colleges and around 300 villages in the NCR. The first phase of the project is expected to be completed by the year end and will continue to grow further to incorporate the entire city.
Sisodia told PTI, "As per plan, we will complete the first phase of free public Wi-Fi by the end of this year but I expect to complete it much before the schedule. Government websites will be free and limited access of other content will be provided," He further added that all government websites will be accessible at all times. However, Internet usage limits for personal and entertainment purposes is currently being processed.
The State Department of Information and Technology has already started the groundwork and is installing Wi-Fi hotspots for the first phase. Government officials have already studied various existing Wi-Fi hotspot systems in cities like Stockholm, Shanghai and Singapore. The Government intends to set-up 50,000 to 80,000 Wi-Fi hotspots across the city. Furthermore, the Government is also calculating revenue models for the project. "There are various revenue models in the project and the government is contemplating on these. Government is committed to provide best wifi service to the people of Delhi," said Mr. Sisodia.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet