A new 'Color Change' malware has hit more than 10,000 Facebook users globally. The virus asks Facebook users to change the color theme of their profiles to steal information. According to reports Facebook has repeatedly tried to fix the virus, but it resurfaces.
The malware begins by advertising an app that tells Facebook users that they can change the colour theme of their profiles. The 'Facebook colour changer' apps offers nine different colours for the profile background. Once users download the app, they are directed to a malicious phishing site, which steals users Facebook Access Tokens by asking them to view a colour changer tutorial video. Access to the tokens allows hackers to connect to the user's Facebook friends.
"If the user is on an Android device, the site issues a warning saying the device has been infected and advises users to download a suggested app," said a report on Cheetah Mobile, a Chinese Internet company.
Security experts warn users that if they have accidentally downloaded the app, they should delete it and change their Facebook passwords immediately.
With the increase in malware online, Facebook in coordination with Trend Micro and F-Secure has incorporated a new security solution that helps detect malware and keep devices secure for Facebook users. Once a user logs in from an infected device, a pop notification surfaces on the screen along with recommendation to use F-Secure's malware scanning and cleanup technology or HouseCall from Trend Micro. Facebook has also acquired cyber security startup Private core, in an effort to improve defences of its vast server network.
Source: The Guardian
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet