Social networking giant Facebook is urging all of its 1.3 billion users to donate to non-profit organizations involved in tackling the deadly Ebola disease.
Facebook has added a new 'Donate' button above its News Feed, that lets users send monetary contributions to three non-profit organizations who are actively managing the crisis in West Africa: International Medical Corps, the Red Cross and Save the Children.
Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently donated US $25 million to fight against Ebola in Africa. In addition, the social media giant is working with UNICEF to display Ebola symptoms and treatment information to users in targeted regions. Facebook has also teamed up with global NGO consortium NetHope to provide emergency voice and data services to medical and aid workers across Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia where the disease has struck hardest. 100 mobile communication terminals have been donated for deployment in these countries to provide broadband and mobile phone connectivity via satellite.
"Organizations involved in the fight against Ebola are using Facebook to raise funds for their relief efforts," the company said in a blog post. "We want to amplify these calls for action and help organizations raise awareness and connect directly with people around the world."
Apart from Facebook, Microsoft has also announced free cloud-computing and research applications to qualified medical researchers working on the Ebola virus. Microsoft's Paul Allen has also pledged a $100 million to aid Ebola hit areas. Read: Cybercriminals using Ebola fear as bait to infect PCs: Symantec
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet