On Monday, one billion users over the world logged onto Facebook, announced co-founder Mark Zuckerberg. "We just passed an important milestone,” Zuckerberg posted on his personal account. “For the first time ever, one billion people used Facebook in a single day.” With one in seven people having used Facebook on Monday, it was the third most populous place behind China and India. Although, it had touched the billion mark with the number of monthly users in 2012, this is the first time that Facebook has seen these many log-ins on a single day.
Last month, the company had claimed that over half of their registered users visited the site at least once a month. So, Monday’s feat would serve to repel fears that Facebook’s popularity is on the wane, as some people had suggested. Zuckerberg is confident that Facebook will continue to grow. "This was the first time we reached this milestone, and it's just the beginning of connecting the whole world," he said. In terms of the number of registered users, Facebook is already ahead of China. It was earlier speculated that Facebook will have more active monthly users than the population of China in 2016, and it seems to be on course to reach that mark. Last year, it reached the milestone of 1 billion active monthly users on mobile.
After being founded in 2004, Facebook’s growth has been phenomenal. Aided by smartphones and better internet connectivity, it is expected to grow further. Some of the chief factors that are driving Facebook’s growth are increasing internet penetration in developing economies, convenience of reaching out to a wide audience, and the ability to instantly share photos and videos with friends, among many others. Over the years, it has evolved from being a simple social networking site to become one of the giants of the tech world. It has diversified into fields such as virtual reality technology, solar powered drones, providing free internet across the world and so on. Facebook’s juggernaut is showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon, and it would be foolish to believe otherwise.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet