The Assam government on Thursday signed an MoU with Google India to take Internet connectivity to the remotest part of the north-eastern state.
Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said the government will work to provide Internet connectivity to 26,000 villages and 1,500 tea garden areas in Assam under the MoU and thus increase digital literacy. Information Technology Secretary Nitin Khare and Goodle India Country Head (Policy) Chetan Krishnaswami signed the Memorandum of Understanding in the presence of Sonowal.
"Technology rules the roost in the 21st century and the state government has upped the ante to use technology to carry forward the fruits of development to the remotest parts of Assam," the Chief Minister said. He said the ties with Google was a way forward to strongly pitch Guwahati as a natural gateway to the South-East Asian countries.
Sonowal said his government in sync with the Centre was working for the success of Start-up initiative but success of such programmes sans technology would be a distant dream. "The MoU will be used as a launchpad to achieve the state government's vision of women empowerment, skill development, and universal education," he said.
The Chief Minister asked the Information Technology Department to take steps to make technology acceptable and favourable among the rural populace so as to catalyse rural development.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet