Ericsson’s Mobility Report has found statistical usage data that suggests up to 47% of mobile internet usage happening via communication apps in various ways. Apps like WhatsApp, Hike, Skype, mailing services and the likes take up the majority of time and usage of Internet via smartphones, while video streaming and related content account for much lesser time spent.
The Financial Express quoted Ericsson, saying, “Communication continues to be the dominant activity on smartphones. Communication apps are ‘always on’ and are a key driver of mobile broadband usage.” Instant messaging services require a continuously active Internet connection to function, giving users a constant feed of messages.
Ericsson Mobility Report’s June 2015 edition has reported massive growth in the number of new Internet users in India. In the report, India accounts for more than 26 million, or over 24 percent of new mobile subscriptions globally. The entire continent of Africa has had fewer new subscriptions, indicating the increasing reach and usage of Internet in India.
While basic connectivity is reaching a number of rural areas, upcoming 4G connectivity in the country means more users are connecting to the Internet everyday. Dwindling usage expenses are yet another reason why a vast number of users are now shifting to Internet-based messaging and voice/video call services from traditional SMS and voice telephony.
The burgeoning smartphone industry in India can also be taken as a contributing factor. Smartphone prices offering up to 4G connectivity are now being sold at very affordable rates, thus resulting in more people using WhatsApp, Skype and such apps, which offer more functionality and cost-effective sharing than non-Internet communication services.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet