Building up to this year’s Worldwide Developers Conference to be held from June 8-12, Apple has hinted at the launch of a new music streaming service that will cost users $10 (Rs. 600 approx.) a month. Prior to confirming acquisition of Beats for a reported $3 billion, Apple had previously signed deals with Warner Music, Universal and Sony Music - the three of the biggest music labels in the world. Even though the music licensing deals are still being arranged, Apple has previously procured licensing deals at short notice, and if it can pull it off again this time, a June launch is on the cards.
Like Spotify, Apple’s streaming service will provide both ad-based free streaming and subscription based unlimited streaming services. However, it has been reported that the quantity of music up for free streaming will be limited. Initially, rumours suggested that the subscription would be priced at $7.99 (Rs. 490 approx.) a month, but Apple seems to have dropped its strategy of providing cheaper-priced services to challenge its direct rivals. Recent reports indicate the service will launch at $9.99 a month - the same as Spotify.
As of now, Spotify has an 86% share in the music-on-demand market in the U.S., and a similar share worldwide. In the music downloads market, Apple’s iTunes rules the charts with an 85% share. The free music available in Apple’s service will be in the form of a live radio stream curated by music artists. As of now, Drake, Dr. Dre and Q-Tip are rumoured to be a part of Apple’s curation team. Only premium subscribers will be able to access any music they want at any time.
Source: The Wall Street Journal
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet