Amazon.com Inc has announced Workmail- an email and scheduling service that will compete with Microsoft Corp and Google Inc. The email service will be launched in the second quarter and has been developed by the company's cloud computing unit, Amazon Web Services (AWS).
According to reports, Workmail is compatible with existing client software like Outlook. For additional security, Amazon will encrypt messages on WorkMail, while companies who use the service will be able to control the keys needed to unscramble the encryption. Amazon will also provide a tool meant to ensure that emails are only stored in designated geographic regions in European countries, specially after the post Snowden revelations.
Analysts suggest that launching an email and scheduling service is likely the first step toward a broader suite of Amazon tools to gain corporate clients. For example, Google's Gmail offers many other services beyond email and calendars including file-sharing and video conferencing. Analysts suggest that Amazon could add as much as $10 billion to its revenue when it decides to add more services.
"Email is a Trojan Horse into the enterprise," Baird analyst Colin Sebastian said. He added that "email is a $1 billion opportunity for Amazon given the popularity of AWS and Amazon's willingness to sacrifice margins for volume".
Amazon will charge $4 per month for each inbox in Workmail for 50 GB mailbox, and workers can use it via Microsoft Outlook or other familiar email clients. With Workmail, Amazon will compete with Google with its Apps for Business, Microsoft Office, Evernote, Box.com, Dropbox, and Quip .
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet