Broadband speeds around the world have gone up by 20 percent year-on-year, while mobile data traffic has grown by 54 percent in the last year, says a recent report by Akamai, an US-based cloud services provider.
Akamai has published its latest State of the Internet report, which reveals that over the last year average internet connection speeds increased in 132 countries. South Korea still boasts of the fastest connections in the world with an average speed of 22.2 Mbps. Hong Kong followed by Japan were in second and third place, with average internet speeds of 16.8Mbps and 15.2Mbps respectively. Sweden was fourth with Internet speeds of 14.6 Mbps followed by Switzerland with 14.5 Mbps speed.
Hong Kong peak connection speeds were even higher than South Korea at 87.7Mbps on average, followed by Singapore with 84Mbps peak speeds and South Korea at 75.4Mbps.
Overall, the global average internet connection speed rose a nominal 0.7% quarter-over-quarter to 4.5 Mbps, says the report. India, which has reportedly overtaken US as the world's second biggest internet nation, recorded peak internet speed at 14.5 Mbps and the average connection speed was 2.0 Mbps, with a growth of 2.1% quarter-over-quarter and 28% year-on-year.
David Belson, editor of the report stated, "Over the course of 2014, we've seen healthy global growth across all of our key metrics for Internet connectivity, broadband adoption and 4K readiness. The positive trends make an interesting contrast to a recent study that found 4.4 billion people around the world do not go online, indicating a strong need for continued efforts to improve and deploy Internet infrastructure globally."
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet