Facebook has been stealing Snapchat’s features for a while now and the latest addition to its repertoire might be Snapchat’s streak feature, a gamified bait that encourages users to send messages to each other every day. Facebook is reportedly bringing that feature over to its Messenger app, as reported by a Twitter user Case Sandberg, who stumbled upon the feature while using Messenger.
Facebook had earlier copied Snapchat’s Stories feature across all its offerings -- Instagram, Messenger, Facebook and WhatsApp. Later, it copied Snapchat’s face filters and camera features on Facebook and Instagram, all in an effort to erode Snapchat's presence in the market as well as bolster its own engagement.
Similar to what Snapchat does, Facebook Messenger streaks shows an emoji status for the person you’re in a streak with. Currently, the feature is perhaps being tested on limited accounts and it’s not currently clear when Facebook will make the feature available across all accounts. Not all of Snapchat’s features have always worked out for Facebook and this could just be a market dipstick.
Snapchat’s streaks have been quite popular amongst its young audience and allowed Snapchat to maintain a steady daily active user count. In fact, it even warns users when their streaks are about to expire. If Facebook is interested in it, one can expect the feature to show up across all its offerings, including Instagram and WhatsApp. Facebook already has a streak feature for posting statuses on Facebook.
Gamification of social media has been an inevitable trend as more and more players entered the market and it became difficult to retain users for long. Only time will tell how enabling streaks will help Facebook retain more users and keep them engaged in its services.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet