Approximately 2.3 million domain name registrations were added to the internet in Q4 2016 according to a report by VeriSign Inc. This brings the total number of domain names registered to about 329.3 million as of December 31, 2016. The new additions in Q4 equate to a growth rate of 1.8 percent over the previous quarter.
The report by VeriSign also noted that .com and .net top-level domains (TLD) had a combined total of about 142.2 million domain name registrations by the end of Q4 2016. The .com domain name base equalled 126.9 million domain name registrations, while the .net name equalled 15.3 million domain name registrations.
In September last year, the Ministry of Electronics and IT (MEIT) announced a number of initiatives to increase the adoption of internet in the country, especially amongst the non-english speaking population. In order to do this, it made domain names available in 15 languages. It was also noted that the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) had applied for remaining languages to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), and had passed the string evaluation criteria.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks15 must have chrome extensions
- On International Internet Day, know your internet