A report by Opera Max claims that over 30% of all data is used by apps running in the background. It also claims that Facebook Messenger and Gmail are the most data hungry apps with 73% of their total data usage happening in the background. In addition, Google Drive and WhatsApp showed more than 50% background data usage. The app-usage data was conducted through millions of Opera Max usersÂ
Read the complete press release below
A new app-usage finding, conducted through millions of Opera Max users, shows that on average over 30% of all data is used by apps running in the background.
Facebook Messenger and Gmail are the most data-hungry apps this way, with some 73% of their total data usage happening in the background.
Google Drive and WhatsApp showed more than 50% background data usage.
Infographic Link: https://www-static.operacdn.com/static-heap/de/de63112ab494cbe58d07d7e5204a3bc4f7ed7957/background-data-opera.png
Why is background data usage a problem?
Background data is all the internet traffic that goes on when you're not actually using an app: email syncing, pre-fetching ads, news articles or feeds - even though you may never read them.
âMost apps are made to give a great user experience, not to save data. If you fetch background data through your data plan, itâs like throwing away $1 out of every $3 you spend on your mobile data plan,â says Sergey Lossev, Product Manager at Opera Software.
âMost people are not aware of this background data drain and may not have authorized it, nor do they know how to stop it from happening. That is why, today, we are introducing Smart Alerts in Opera Max,â adds Lossev
âSmart Alerts help you easily manage your background data usage, as well as getting helpful tips and suggestions on how to prevent apps from devouring your data,â Lossev continues.
How Smart Alerts work
Opera Maxâs Smart Alerts automatically identify apps that use a lot of data in the background. Opera Max then notifies you about how to manage these data-hungry apps, giving you an easy, two-tap way to block apps from using your mobile data.
Opera Max triggers Smart Alerts when it detects excessive background data usage of over 10 MB per week.
These alerts will show up inside Opera Max as a card in the âData usage timelineâ, a card in âApp managementâ and in the OS notification bar, to help better manage background data consumption. The user will also get a pop-up when Opera Max detects heavy, rapid background data usage.
About the finding
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet