It seems like online threats won’t be stopping anytime soon. Symantec has released its annual internet securityWhere to buy 355 Threat Report, which states that last year, 1 out of every 131 emails sent contained a malicious link or an attachment. Last year, 1 of every 220 mails had malicious links. The report also notes that 2016 saw a shift towards politically motivated attacks consisting of sabotage and subversion. Ransomware also saw an increase this year, with the US being targeted the most. The country was also the most likely to pay ransom. 69 percent of all ransomware attacks were targeted against consumers, while the remaining 31 percent were aimed at enterprises. It further notes that the average ransom demand was $1,077 (approx. Rs. 69,000).
In India, 1 out of every 150 emails sent contained a malicious link or attachment. When it comes to ransomware, India was ranked number five in the list of countries affected by ransomware globally, while in the APJ region, India was ranked at the second spot, behind Japan.
The report also talks about the threats faced by IoT devices. Symantec says last year, its researchers placed an IoT device on the internet and it was attacked within two minutes. It also noted that attacks on the IoT honeypot device increased over the course of the year. From five attacks per hour in January, to nine attacks per hour by December. The report notes that the shortcomings of IoT devices were the lack of system hardening, no update mechanism, and the use of default passwords.
Other Popular Deals
- 10 websites and applications you must know about8 music streaming services worth trying out
- 6 ways to start learning Microsoft AzureHow to improve your Firefox browsing experience
- The 12 most hilarious YouTube channels10 Microsoft Big Data Success Stories
- Next year, these attacks will threaten your cybersecurityWhy you won't need cable or DTH in 2017
- Weird but interesting websites you ought to bookmark right...Daily deals roundup: Discounts on headphones, PC...
- Flipkart New Pinch Days sale: Offers on Google Pixel 2,...10 YouTube sci-tech channels every geek should follow
- 10 reasons to trust Azure with your data15 apps and websites to accomplish everyday tasks
- 15 must have chrome extensionsOn International Internet Day, know your internet