Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi is very close to setting up an R&D unit in India. In a conversation with Digit, company India Head, Manu Jain, told us that the company is very close to acquiring an office space in Bangalore. According to Jain, the office space covers an area of 20,000 square foot and will be used for the company’s R&D activities pertaining to India. This includes things like new themes for the company’s India theme store and other content for its users here.
Further, Jain also said that the company is working hard to get the Mi TV2 available to Indian users. Xiaomi had showcased this product back in July, at the launch of the Xiaomi Mi3. The Mi TV2 was then announced at a price of Rs. 49,990. Jain said that the device should definitely be in the country by the second half of the year. Xiaomi is currently working on content partnership deals for the device.
Meanwhile, the company’s next flagship, the Xiaomi Mi4 is also en route. Jain said that the device should be available in the first quarter of the year, if not in January, which is what company VP Hugo Barra had said earlier.
Xiaomi had recently run into legal struggles, after a lawsuit filed by Ericcson against them. The company though seems to be going strong, with the court allowing it to sell all but one (Redmi Note) of its devices in the country. The case is pending a hearing on February 5 and Jain explained that Xiaomi has been able to demonstrate to the court that its licensing agreement with Qualcomm provides the patents required for the business to continue in India. The company also announced recently that it had sold over one million smartphones in India.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015