Xiaomi has made a regulatory filing with the Registrar of Companies (RoC) in India revealing the company’s plan for expansion in the country. As per an ET report, the filing indicates that the Chinese smartphone maker wants to sell electric vehicles (EV) in India and also foray into the payments banking space.
Xiaomi, in its filing, said that it could sell “all types of vehicles for transport, conveyance and other transport equipment, whether based on electricity or any other motive or mechanical power, including the components, spare parts.” The company has already launched its electric bikes and scooters in China.
The company is also ready for other business opportunities as the filing says it wants “to carry on the business of nonbanking financial companies, payments bank, leasing and financing, other financial services, payment gateway and settlement systems operators, mobile virtual network operators.” This indicates Xiaomi’s interest in India’s digital payments space where currently Paytm, Airtel and only a handful of more companies are operating.
Xiaomi is also interested in launching its other products in the country like computer accessories, lifestyle products, laptops, gaming consoles, and network equipment, the report says. The filing also suggests that the products could be sold via both online and offline channels. This move by Xiaomi comes amidst the news that the company is filing for IPO next year. The company is reportedly seeking a valuation of $50 billion or more.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015