WhatsApp is planning to bring two new features to its social messaging platform. The Facebook-owned messaging company is reportedly working on live location sharing and change number feature. The features were spotted by WABetaInfo and they have put out a Tweet detailing the update.
WhatsApp's change number option has been spotted on Windows Phone app version 2.17.130. The feature allows users to notify their contacts about their new number without losing existing chats. The feature is already available on Android and iOS and Windows Phone users can choose to share their new number with all contacts, no contact at all, or select contacts with whom they chat.
WhatsApp beta for Windows Phone 2.17.130: new change number feature, to notify your contacts about your new number (DISABLED BY DEFAULT) pic.twitter.com/FpZWHH3MS3 — WABetaInfo (@WABetaInfo) April 15, 2017
The new number change will be notified to groups regardless of above-mentioned option. This feature is the easiest way to retain all existing chats and yet conveniently change numbers. Earlier WhatsApp users needed to broadcast their new number in order to inform all contacts.
The live location feature, on the other hand, is currently available for Android Beta v2.17.150 users. As the name implies, the feature allows users to share their live location for a period of 1 minute or higher. The feature is similar to Glympse and Messenger's live location sharing feature which allows users to share their live GPS location. Both the features are disabled by default and can be enabled from the settings.
WhatsApp has been adding a lot of useful features for the past year or so. The company is reportedly planning to introduce P2P payments in India under the government's Digital India initiative. The social messaging platform also offers Snapchat-like Stories feature and recently added two-step verification, GIF sharing and video calling.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015