WhatsApp recently replaced its text-based Status feature with Snapchat-like Stories comprising of images and videos. WhatsApp is reportedly bringing back the old text-based status feature due to user backlash. The new update coming to WhatsApp will allow users to enable availability status through 'About section' on the app.
WhatsApp's updated Status allows users to set photos or videos with filters as their status that disappear after 24 hours. The feature was first introduced with Instagram Stories and then brought to Facebook Messenger and main Facebook app. WhatsApp says "the update will appear next to profile names anytime you view contacts, such as when creating a new chat or looking at Group info."
Facebook has been drawing flak lately from its user community for blatantly ripping off Snapchat's trademark feature. Instagram Stories is already a hit with over 150 million users but Facebook seems to have failed to replicate the success on other platforms. WhatsApp's new Status is not going away just yet but its delighting to see that the old is coming back. WhatsApp says the new About Status feature will be rolled out to Android users in the next week and to iOS users at a later stage.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015