Uber and Ola drivers in Delhi-NCR have gone on strike from today. According to a report by Business Standard, the strike has been called by the Sarvodaya Driver Association of Delhi, which claims to have over 2,000 members working for either of the cab-hailing services. The length of the strike is not yet known, the report suggests that drivers are demanding better perks, relaxed hours for targets, accident insurance and more. Other demands include not running cabs at Rs. 6 per kilometer, which is the least amount charged by the two companies, for Uber Go and Ola Micro respectively. The association has also alleged that the two companies have not given full weekly payment.
Ravi Rathore, Senior Executive Member of the association told the publication, “Companies should not add more new cars, they should stop ride-share services, also most importantly, we will not work for Rs 6 per kilometre. From Friday, we will go on indefinite strike till they agree to our demands.” The association hopes that 40,000 to 50,000 cab drivers would join the agitation. The report notes that they plan to gather at the Ramlila Ground at Central Delhi today morning, and march to Jantar Mantar, where some representatives of the association plan a hunger strike.
One commuter, Ashish Joseph, who had to go to the airport in the morning says that he couldn’t get any cabs to take him to the airport, even after trying for over half an hour to get one. In the end, he had to settle for an Ola Lux to take him to the airport as there were no other options. “It was extremely frustrating,” he says. Our Assistant Editor, Prasid Banerjee could not get an Uber to the office either, even after getting a confirmation as the driver refused to pick him up. It's interesting that drivers are accepting rides even after announcing a strike.
We have reached out to Uber and Ola for their comments.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015