Twitter 5th Transparency report for the period Jan 2014- June 2015 reveals a decline in content removal and information requests by the Indian Government compared with the July-December 2013 period.
Twitter's Transparency report reveals that the Indian government made 16 requests for account information related to 44 accounts, and 5 requests to remove or withhold content on Twitter over the six month period. The numbers are actually reduced from Twitter's last transparency report from July 2013 to Dec 2013 where the Indian government made 19 requests for account information, 6 removal requests, 2 court orders for account removal and asked 13 tweets to be withheld.
Globally Twitter Transparency report reveals a 46 percent increase in government requests, with 8 new countries submitting requests in the past 6 months. Twitter revealed that it received a total of 2,058 requests for account information from 54 different countries. Additionally the micro-blogging site received 432 requests to remove content from 31 countries and 9,199 copyright takedown requests for Twitter and Vine posts an increase of nearly 38 percent. The maximum number of request were received from US, comprising nearly 61% of all requests received, followed by Japan with 9% of overall requests.
Twitter began its transparency reports in 2012. “The continued rise may be attributed to Twitter’s ongoing international expansion, but also appears to follow the industry trend. As always, we continue to fight to provide notice to affected users when we’re not otherwise prohibited.”
Other technology giants including Google and Facebook also publish transparency reports, but the focus in the government surveillance activities was brought to the forefront after Snowden's revelations about NSA spying.
Other Popular Deals
- Top launches of the week: May 22, 20156 weird inventions that tried too hard
- Top launches of the week: June 5, 2015Top launches of the week: May 29, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 22, 2015Top launches of the week: June 12, 2015
- Top stories of the week: May 29, 2015The Intel Compute Stick, in pictures
- Top stories of the week : June 12, 2015Top stories of the week: June 5, 2015
- In pictures: ETI Dynamic's Solar Electric Hybrid Vehicle17 upcoming movies of 2015 that have us excited
- 5 great gadget deals under Rs 10,000Top stories of the week: May 15, 2015
- Best tech you can buy on a budgetTop launches of the week: May 15, 2015